Ransomware developer messages me | Unnamed Ransomware

• 3 months ago
  • 6776 Views
  • 0 0

Ransomware developer messages me with a sample of their own ransomware called "unnamed" or Blinker Object. This one asks for payment in amazon gift cards instead of bitcoin, and is spread via Adobe phishing emails. Watch out! We also talk about careers in cyber security and why you shouldn't make ransomware. In this video I'm joined by Sarah (who is also a malware analyst at Emsisoft). Check out: https://www.thepcsecuritychannel.com ------------------------------------------- Want to join the TPSC community? Join our Discord server! https://discordapp.com/invite/y7q3qMM Want instant updates when new malware is discovered? Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/leotpsc Sarah's Twitter: https://twitter.com/polartoffee Music from Jukedeck - create your own at http://jukedeck.com

All Comments

• I would NEVER pay ransom. It takes 20 min to wipe and reinstall Windows 10. But Emsi is good to have so I AVOID those 20 min. Thanks for another good video from you Leo.

Nevigo April 6, 2019 6:37 am Reply
  • Do Av test please
    Emsisoft 2019 anti malware

Siddharth R April 6, 2019 6:54 am Reply
  • why worry if you back up for an ordinary person if it's a business that is a little different but can limit the damage in the event of ransomware still by backing up

damolin77 April 6, 2019 6:54 am Reply
  • Movies and urban myths must have spoiled these kids. No. Companies won't hire you for pulling off high profile hacking incidents.

Kyouhyung Kim April 6, 2019 7:17 am Reply
  • On Hackforums there are many people that will get AGC from non legit ways and turn around and trade it for BTC/LTC/CashApp etc.

Leroy Jethro Gibbs April 6, 2019 7:17 am Reply
  • Zemana 3.0 got released, would have been nice if you could review it

Dejan Jocin April 6, 2019 7:17 am Reply
  • 8:00 ummm … hhmmm … i ain't nobody to say anything … but i would think if your a CYBER SECURITY EXPERT you better be dam sure you know exactly and precisely how to create malware in order to be able to combat it … you would have to know all the ins and outs of malware … THE FBI hires top level hackers and in return they get a REDUCED SENTENCE ON THEIR FEDERAL CHARGE …

steve00055 April 6, 2019 7:36 am Reply
  • Thanks you for upload this type of videos

Duck429 April 6, 2019 7:49 am Reply
  • running commentary:
    I think they are using you to test their ransomware because they think their new code is awesome and they want some validation.
    I don't really need to see it running. It's nice filler material while you are telling us the pertinent details. More importantly, I like to see if there is a way to fix their stuff if it is not backed up and restore their files without paying. I am shocked when I see hospitals and townships pay the ransom.

People are the weakest link. The screen tells them to do something and 50% or more just do it.

If their AV software doesn't stop it, can it fix it?

I just like to know whose software is good at stopping and/or repairing machines under attack. I want to know if there is a "fix" available, especially for ransomware victims.

I know you are partial to Kaspersky and your results are valid. I'm partial to Avast and Malwarebytes. I offer them in tandem with my clients. My virus and malware repair business went way down but my clients were safe and that allowed me to explore other avenues of service to my clients.

FYI: Besides advertising on TV now, I saw Avast had won some award. Their TV ads are a new thing and I have been using and recommending them for 10 or 15 years now.

Ten and twenty years ago, Norton and McAfee's reviews were inflated and embellished. I lost respect for PC Magazine completely by 2001 because their reviews were contrary to what I was seeing in the real world. Norton and McAfee's products didn't stop many attacks and they didn't clean infections in one or two passes and they were terribly bloated. They were good for generating more business for me, but I stopped recommending those two a long time ago.

Because of your testing methodology and your integrity, I come here to see what the latest news is. Keep up the good work.

Glenn Quagmire April 6, 2019 8:20 am Reply
  • Hey, Leo! Do you know anything about IOBIT's products to protect and optimize your computers and devices? http://www.iobit.com
    Looking at their web pages and the style of their offerings they look like another existing company building another platform. I'm just scatter shooting but that is the vibe I got when browsing their site. Just wanted your opinion or alert you to their presence if you were not aware of them. : )

Glenn Quagmire April 6, 2019 8:30 am Reply
  • I don't think you should be giving these people so much publicity.

Zenos Ebeth April 6, 2019 8:44 am Reply
  • I’m confused, do virus and ransomware devs really watch your videos? Do they admire you demonstrating their programs or do they get pissed when you expose them to antivirus programs?

Junior Jr. April 6, 2019 9:06 am Reply
  • is there a AI pc security system that is good help I have a private eye hacking my pc an ex FBI guy so he may know how to keep hacking me he needs crashed

harold vonhelms April 6, 2019 10:35 am Reply
  • creating ransomware is boring, i prefere wiping antiviruses of the disk from kernel while they are running and seeing them crash and the override mbr with nyan cat. that's way more fun

dumbasPL April 6, 2019 11:57 am Reply
  • I can send you a ransom in ur Facebook, would I be a ransoware dev? No. Man, dafuq

None April 6, 2019 12:35 pm Reply
  • i am given option to have local dealership of mcAfee antivirus should i get it or not ( currently i am selling kaspersky buying from another shop keeper at 5% discount ) should i give mcafee a try it not always about profit i want best option for my buyers

Abdul Basit Suhail April 6, 2019 1:23 pm Reply
  • Once I got a spam email that said “your Google account will be deleted in 3 days enter your password to stop the deletion” I saw it 4 days after it was sent

Joking Gamer YT April 6, 2019 2:30 pm Reply
  • This is more of a skid then Jigsaw. At least Jigsaw used an actual encryption algorithm.

SoonTM April 6, 2019 3:28 pm Reply
  • That women so annoying

Golden Eagle April 6, 2019 6:28 pm Reply
  • 1. Writing malware is legal.
    2. Selling malware is illegal.
    3. Using malware for malicious purposes is illegal.
    4. Pentesters use malware on almost every engagement and it's legal because of written consent. Meterpreter is malware.
    5. Making malware helps you understand the concepts and is complementary to reverse engineering malware.
    6. I work in the Cyber Security industry.
    *For most countries.

Anon 123 April 7, 2019 3:53 am Reply
  • You've been uploading antivirus tests? When? I never got notified. I'm a bell ringer and everything.

Alrek Arinbjorn April 7, 2019 3:39 pm Reply
  • please can you do atleast one advanced av test video

N4.WIN April 7, 2019 6:53 pm Reply
  • Few tips about discussion videos:
    Introduce your guest
    Let your guest finish his/her sentence, minimize talking over each other.
    Overall, not bad! 🙂

Shahnewaz April 8, 2019 12:01 am Reply
  • 0:00 :

Monetized
    Monetized
    Monetized
    Monetized
    Monetized
    Monetized

You don't see that often nowadays

Daniel Mansour April 8, 2019 12:57 pm Reply
  • Test Cybersight anti ransomware!
    It’s really light and the UI looks kind of nice

Abdulaziz Bonzalevi April 8, 2019 2:50 pm Reply
  • Firstly, I really appreciate you educating regular people on security practices. Your reviews are great and easily digestible for a regular joe.
    However, regarding this video, first rule of podcast like videos, do not interrupt each other while talking.

Keep up the good work!